The Australian Government has passed laws which extend the Goods and Services Tax (GST) to low value imports of physical goods. From 1 July 2018, Australia Post will be required to collect GST from customers and pay that GST to the Australian Tax Office, on items valued at $1,000 AUD or less, that customers ship into Australia using ShopMate.
From 1 July 2018, each time you check out a ShopMate parcel and declare the value of the goods, you will be asked to provide payment for your ShopMate shipping and the applicable GST all in the same transaction^.
The rate of GST is 10%.
GST will be payable on:
- The value of the item(s) you are shipping into Australia via ShopMate including any shipping fees or local taxes paid to the USA retailer, and
- The value of the ShopMate shipping and service fee (including Extra Cover if applicable)
The invoice must include the price of all goods which you are sending to Australia via ShopMate and the shipping fees of these products from the USA retailer to the ShopMate USA warehouse.
How to email us your invoice:
- Email a copy of the USA retailer invoice to: ShopMateInvoice@auspost.com.au
- Include your first and last name and ShopMate Suite Number in the email subject line.
- Your suite number is the second address line of your ShopMate USA address, this can be found in the “My Addresses” tab once you login to your account.
- For example: John Smith, Suite SM-2364-5833
Items above $1,000 AUD may be subject to additional duties and taxes upon arrival in Australia. You will need to refer to the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service website for details. You will have to pay this either directly to our recommended Customs Broker, appoint your own Customs Broker or engage Australian Customs directly. ShopMate will contact if your item is valued over $1,000 AUD, outlining next steps.
|Other ShopMate fees||Fee detail (AUD)|
|Holding fee for unpaid parcels||$2.00 AUD per parcel per day for parcels that are held for more than 21 days from the processed date|
|Repacking fee||$5.50 AUD (including GST) per parcel for fragile parcels or to reduce parcel’s volumetric size (see below)|
|Returns to US merchant (from US warehouse)||$7.00 AUD handling fee for parcels with pre-paid return labels. For parcels with no pre-paid return labels, the handling fee as well as the associated delivery costs will be charged.|
|Australia Quarantine and Inspection Services (AQIS) handing and inspection fee||$85.00 AUD per parcel to provide documents to AQIS for review and assessment
$250 AUD per parcel if further inspection is required at an AQIS approved premise.
|Discard or Destroy fee||$5.00 AUD per parcel|
When your parcel arrives at our US warehouse, it will be assessed to see if it can be repacked in new packaging. This is done by comparing the difference between the parcel's volumetric weight and its actual weight. If the difference is greater than 2kg, the parcel will be repacked in more appropriate packaging.
Parcels will not be repacked in new packaging if:
- they do not have a weight difference greater than 2 kg
- they contain protective manufacturer's packaging e.g. styrofoam
- they are in manufacturer's branded packaging e.g. shoe boxes
^An additional administrative and processing charge of $55.00 AUD will be imposed if your USA retailer invoice isn’t submitted, and/or if the declared value is not accurate. For more information click here